It’s a pleasure to announce the first stable release of KIO FUSE, just in time for 2021.
Compared to the last release candidate, the following changed:
- Symlinks with an absolute target path are “rewritten” to point to the location inside the target instead of the host system
- Mounting a URL which includes symlinks now works.
- The DBus service can use systemd activation now.
- Some applications like VLC and MPV claim support for certain protocols, which causes KIO to not use KIO FUSE in certain cases. Please mention which URL was actually passed to the application when reporting an issue.
- The changes to the mounting code exposed a bug in the fish:// ioslave, which unfortunately makes it unusable from kio-fuse. A fix is pending: https://invent.kde.org/network/kio-extras/-/merge_requests/63
- Poor throughput especially on high latency connections. Work is ongoing to improve the situation: https://invent.kde.org/system/kio-fuse/-/merge_requests/36
Hopefully distro packagers will be quick to pick up this release. If you wish to test with your own compiled version, or wish to contribute a patch please check out our README.
Please file bug reports here.
If you’re eligible for Google Summer of Code, please contact us if you’d like to take up a project developing on KIO FUSE. Some ideas (of which you can suggest your own) and contact details can be found here.